Monday, September 9, 2013

Science Fair Orewa College (3)

This experiment certainly took my attention. Not that I am a big fan of popcorn, I actually do not even like the smell of it in particular when you are squeezed into a little cinema and you take deep breaths of popcorn “smell” … but anyway.
This student asked the question, which popcorn pops the best. I reckon that this study is considered as pretty cool, since students love to go to the cinemas and when they’re there they can impress their hot girl or boy with the question “I did some research and believe me, take this brand, that pops best!”
I found the explanation pretty interesting. I took a few pictures, worth to read it ..



 
------------------------------------------------------------
 
I really enjoyed when they picked topics which are of interest for others and address a serious topic such as insulation. New Zealand homes are as you probably know often without any heating. Heat pumps are getting more popular, but often people go with heating by gas or electricity. A not very efficient way to generate heat, and gas heating is even linked to some health issues.



 
So this student investigated which materials gives the best insulation. Bubble paper was one of the front runners: In this experiment the entire window was covered with bubble paper. Not that this is probably the best way to insulate your windows (only since 2012 new houses in NZ must have double glazed windows!), in particular since you cannot really look out of your window (maybe ok for a bathroom, but not for the lounge if you have a beautiful view to the ocean or to a nearby park), but I reckon the learning curve for this student was steep and I hope that this will change the attitude towards energy efficient houses in NZ as well.

------------------------------------------------------------
 
And what about this one here: ”Does Redbull give you wings?” … what do you reckon?

YES or NO ??

 
 
More hot topics and results in two days ….

No comments:

Post a Comment